Have we all been there? The almost-relationship with someone who claims to want a relationship and then never quite gets there. This is someone who you know through friends or school or some other connection that forces you to keep crossing paths. Occasionally, you have an almost-relationship with someone because things just don’t work out, or neither of you is ready for it. Perhaps, it just doesn’t happen. Sometimes, though, that person is a gosh darn jerk.
This is the kind of jerk who mutual friends will explain as someone you’ll need to get to know before you like. You know, they’ll be the person that their dear friends hate, but claim they just have a “hard shell.” Here’s a tip: that person is a dick.
This person will always claim to, “like you” or perhaps, “like you too much for x, y, or z.” This person, this almost-lover will tell you that they, “would date you… IF x, y, or z were only a little different.” It likely took you a while, but you figured it out. You had to eventually realize that being stood-up, or sort of lied to, or jerked around, or whatever it was… it wasn’t good enough for you.
Oh, and when you’re finally a dick right back at this person, he/she will be shocked and get all indignant
“I’ll call you.”
“I was just really busy this week.”
“Has it really been two weeks? Oh, I thought I saw you on Wednesday… No, I’m sure we talked.”
“I lost my phone.”
“I was drunk.”
“When I said, ‘I love you,’ I meant it … you know… like as a friend thing. You know.”
“I like you too much to date you. I’d be a jerk.”
“I’ll break your heart.”
“Maybe I’m just a jerk.”
- You will get stood-up.
- You will not receive replies.
- You will be booty-called.
- You will forgive and forgive and forget and forget and on and on and on and on… You will become exhausted by forgiveness and you’ll always remember.
- They’ll call/text out of the blue claiming to have changed. You’ll allow them to come back into your life.
- They haven’t changed.
- You’ll like them. You’ll really like them.
- You’ll keep thinking about it. You won’t be able to stop. It’ll be a whole thing.
- You’ll tell yourself that you can change them. You’ll unbreak his/her heart, and you’ll make them a real person again. You’ll make them want a relationship. You’ll make them love you. But, you can’t. You can’t make them love you. They’re never going to treat you well, so give up. They suck. They like themselves (outwardly). You can’t change it.
- They will drive you crazy.
- They will never be your boyfriend.
- You’ll be like – “I fixed you!” And they’ll be like – “BYE!”
- They will make you cry. Like a lot.
If you come across someone who is too busy to date you, or thinks they like you too much, or whatever excuse it might be, that person will never date you. It’s the whole “He’s just not that into you” business. Don’t waste your time on an almost-lover.